Monday, February 10, 2020

Entry 1




Image result for black ants and buddhist

One thing that got my attention on the Black Ants and Buddhists chapter one, was the way the author, Mary Cowhey call the class, survivor English. Which is interesting because learning English is what ended up meaning up for them, a surviving thing in this country. Which is understandable since in this country the main language spoken is English, and not speaking English can become hard in this country since you can’t communicate or understand them. This is something I know, since I also didn't know English when I first came to this country. I understand the feeling of not being able to communicate and defend for myself. Which is why the phrase " we want to learn English, so we can defend ourselves " is something that really stuck with me. Another thing that the author mentions in this chapter is that he " chooses to teach critically because he believes children are capable of amazing things, far more than is usually expected of them”. Her teaching philosophy is something that I really like, because he doesn't think as teaching as a way in which teacher teach for the standardized tests. He teaches so children can learn to use what they have learn to become an active citizen in the community. Which is something that I find interesting, because usually when we think of children, we don’t see them as citizens, which is weird because that's what they are and will be. They are the future and the way we teach them is what they go and take to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment